Horse Network

Equestrian Community

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:21 pm 

So I’d like to start this by saying I have ridden horses on the roads myself over the years and am fully aware of how inconsiderate car drivers can be on occasion. However today I was the car driver and had to deal with the very bad attitude of one of a pair of horse riders.
Driving down grange cross lane in west Kirby and I saw a pair of riders heading my way from a distance as we pulled over to park on the right. We were then stationary for some time so they were then closer to us and stopped some 15 feet in front of us and appeared confused by what we might be doing. Not wanting to spook the horses by driving towards them I chose to remain stationary and tried to gesture to the lead rider whether they’d rather we stayed put so they could go round us or if she wanted us to continue and she seemed happy enough to go round us so we stayed still to allow them to pass us. The woman on the second horse clearly was unhappy with this and while passing us was shaking her head and saying it’s was absolutely ridiculous and when I tried to talk to her while she was passing she expressed her unhappiness at “being called out into traffic” (baring in mind they’d just ridden around two parked vehicles further down the road). I didn’t and wouldn’t call anyone into traffic and did what I believed to be the safest thing at that time given the situation. I would rather walk round a static car than have it drive towards me but that’s just me. We all have to share these roads and I tried to be as considerate as possible and really don’t feel the attitude or this one rider was justified or necessary. Let’s all just be kind to each other and remember neither of us have any more rights than the other to use our roads.