Horse Network

Equestrian Community

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: how does full loan work?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:58 pm 

I've been part sharing a horse and just wondered what full loan would be like. How it would work and how much it would cost etc. Advice would be appreciated :D

Last edited by Suzysnoozy on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm 

well for ours we pay for everything, any transport costs, rugs, feed, tack, hay, insurance, vets like she is our own! but it totally depends on the circumstances, for instance our mare has a history with one of her legs so if it acts up again then it is agreed that her owners will sort that out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hi Suzy :) When I have had horses on full loan in the past the way its worked is they have come with tack (Although not everybody does this). I have bought rugs and everything else myself (although again some horses come with rugs, boots etc.). And any costs like straw, hay, vets bills, livery fees, insurance etc has been down to me to pay. I have obviously kept in touch with their owners and on occaisions they have visited. I know this is not the same for everybody, so it really depends on the horse you loan and what their owners agree with. But in my experience this is how its been. I part loan a horse due to having small children and not having time, but good luck and I hope you find the horse you looking for :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 am 

Hiya Suzy I have a horse on loan, although in my case it is permanent loan ( although I would like to buy him) . I have had him for 5 years. I drew up a loan agreement from the BHS website to protect both parties really.
It is a good agreement and can be tailored to suit all needs. I deleted some parts that were not applicable and added others. Owner read the agreement and we both signed it with witnesses and kept copies too.
When I had to loan out my mare last winter I did an agreement and did the same. Loan was temporary but still it meant that both parties understood.
On the agreement you can include what tack, rugs and other equipment are to remain with the horse so that the owner knows what to get back if and when the loan ends.
State if loan is permanent or for a set period. Can it be extended. The grounds for either party to end the loan and length of notice required from each party. Obviously if the horse was being neglected or welfare needs not met then owner has to decide whether to give them a period to sort matters out or to remove straightaway.
Who is responsible for paying insurance ( note if the loanee pays this then it is they who would get the money if something happened to the horse, not the owner, certainly the case with Petplan anyway, which I realised when my mare was out on loan)
Who is responsible for paying for annual jabs, dentistry, physio/back checks, farrier work and any other medical or physical care of the horse. Owner can also include dates when jabs or checks are due to be done as a reminded to loanee.
If the horse is to be on free loan ( ie loanee pays everything for the horse and no additional charges to the owner)
Any other relevant details such as if horse is to be kept shod or can be just trimmed etc.
The name and address of the place where the horse is to be kept on loan and names, addresses of loaner and loanee.
Any activities which the horse is refrained from doing or permission to be sought beforehand.
Loanee needs the passport or a copy or it, not only for transportation but also for veterinary records.
If owner does not want the horse going for human consumption after death then make sure the relevant section is signed in passport and counter signed by a vet.
Also another important part which I added and in fact some have picked up on is what happens if the horse is fatally injured. I included in mine that if the owner could not be reached ( do have land and mobile numbers) in a reasonable time and the vet ordered immediate destruction on the grounds of suffering, then the loanee has written permission for the horse to be euthanised. Again owner needs to agree to what form they would choose and also disposal methods ( if they so wish). Insurers may need to be contacted too.
It may sound morbid as no one ever wants to think about such matters but for me personally I think the welfare of the horse should come first and foremost and would not want a horse to be in pain and suffering just because someone was unable to answer a phone.
I just think when it comes to loans that matters should be set out in black and white. Therefore if there was ever an issue from either side then the agreement is there to be referred back to.
If you adopted an animal from a rescue/sanctuary you would need to fill in paperwork. Admittedly loans can range from temporary to permanent but even so I don't think verbal agreements are very good.
Good luck x

Post subject: full loan
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:50 pm 

Hi!!
I have my pony on full loan, but he is kept at the owner field
Full loan for me includes feed, vet bills, insurance, farrier, etc I just pay an agreed amount per week, which I pay the owner monthly!

It works out great, its like he's my own! I'm able to do what I want with him, there was nothing that she said I couldnt do with him!

I like to buy some of the things for him, like his grooming kit etc, but he came with tack and he's got his own rugs for winter, which I'm able to get when they are needed!
If I need anything else, I can just ask for it and use it if his owners got one in her supplies in his size!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 pm 

Thanks for your replies guys

Think I am going to stick to part loaning/sharing and helping out for now or at least, until I win the lottery!! :lol: